Tuesday, May 21, 2013

COMFORT


These past few weeks, life has been as stressful as it can get.  When I'm stressed, I use various ways to get through the days and try to find a modicum  of  serenity, and one of them is to bake.  I love baking . . . it's like spending time with my Grandmother again.  
I thought I'd like to share her recipe for Tea Biscuits with you.  I don't know where she got it - maybe from a cookbook here, or maybe she brought it with her from Ireland.  I just know they are wonderful, served warm with butter and jam, and of course, a good, stiff cup of tea.

                             Nannie's Tea Biscuits.

2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2-3 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup of shortening/butter/margarine   (I use Bacel margarine)
1 cup milk

Mix the dry ingredients together.  Cut in the shortening (or which ever choice you use).  Add the milk slowly and mix.  Turn the dough out on a floured board and knead gently for a few minutes.
Pat into a circle (or square) about a 1/2 inch thick.  Cut into circles with a cookie cutter and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake at 450 for 12 - 14 minutes.
Serve warm with butter, jam, and a lovely cup of tea.
Hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
cheers,
Heather
www.heatheranderson-animalart.com

No comments:

Post a Comment