Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Basic Respect

 In the spirit of being respectful to all, I'd like to politely point out that Artists are people too.    Do non artists understand for one single moment how insulting it is to hear "Oh, so you're a lady of leisure.  Must be nice to not have to work."  Do they really think I live in Fantasy Land where a flick of a hand causes paint to leap onto paper while I sit back with a glass of lemonade and file my nails?  I wonder if they have ever done a 4 day outdoor show?  We artists rely on our incomes to pay bills, buy art supplies, and other needed things.  Many artists are supporting themselves and need to buy basic luxuries like food and pay rent/mortgage.  I'm in the fortunate position of just needing to pay my own personal bills and help out with household/pet/garden stuff.  My husband and I have always operated as a team.
I don't mean for this to be a rant, but I see over and over again, that basic disrespect for painters/sculptors pop up, and while we artists don't do the big super important stuff like those who go into medicine, the military, the law/law enforcement, fire fighters or teaching, (and I'm sure I'm missing some professions that should be included) we are generally people who work hard for very little return.  We deserve  respect for being people who are willing to work hard and follow our dreams.  It takes a bit of courage and commitment to step out of the general stream and do that.  We deserve to be paid for our work, and treated like the contributors to society that we are.


Cheers,
Heather
www.heatheranderson-animalart.com

No comments:

Post a Comment