Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Cat Tales

I am a dog person, then, now and always, but I have to tell you, I'm also bats about cats.  Lovely, mysterious creatures they be, who defy being put into a mold and have a sense of self that rivals the biggest Diva ever known.  But they can also be loving, brave, and very  empathetic.


For the first time ever, we have 2 cats at Sheltie Hollow.  I was always nervous that since one cat rules my life, I'd end up as nothing but a paw servant if we had two of them, and you know what?  I was right!  But they are benevolent little dictators who reward my efforts to keep them happy with purrs and snuggles.  Sasha is our eldest cat, and he is a quiet big fellow who is amazingly patient and gentle.  But he attacked and drove back a dog taking a major hissy fit who was about to chomp down on my leg.  Sash is one brave cat!
The Purebred cats are gorgeous, and I always fancied having a Siamese or a Burmese, but of the three cats we have had, all three were "just cats" needing a home.  Each one was/is a treasure.  Our first was a Barn cat who loved opera, and he, along with my first Sheltie, was my constant companion for 19 wonderful years.  One of our present cats, was a Street kitten who was lucky enough to end up at an Animal Shelter where we found him.  And our newest feline member of the family was a surprise, along with her brothers, for the lady who adopted a  poor abandoned cat and suddenly found herself with a cat and four kittens!!
 I love the way cats make any place their kingdom.  One of the things I loved best about going around to the stables and farms were the barn cats. So many friendly little souls who would curl up anywhere to snooze in the sun.


             
                                       

In our house, the dogs and cats have to get along, and as Shelties are friendly, welcoming little fellows, the dogs and cats can usually be found playing or snoozing together.  I insist on a Peaceable Kingdom.  I also must add here that our cats, like our dogs are indoor pets.  The dogs go out in our fenced-in garden, but only under supervision, while our cats stay inside where they are safe.  Cars, unfriendly dogs, unfriendly humans, hawks, owls, foxes, coyotes and fishers - it's a dangerous place out there for a roaming cat.  If our two should want the great outdoors, I take them out on a harness and leash and let them take me for a walk in the garden.  But I keep saying 'two cats' and you haven't met our kitten yet.  Here's Miss Jasmine, who can be found in the studio every chance she gets.  She wants to be an artist when she grows up, just like Mum.  So far, she has been caught just starting to put my best paint brush in her mouth and knocking over a jar of paint water.  Busy little girl!  Good thing she's cute!!


As Colette said, "A Cat is the visible soul of the home."
Cheers,
Heather
www,heatheranderson-animalart.com

No comments:

Post a Comment